[free-sklyarov] Net freedom / jurisdiction case (fwd)

Jei jei at cc.hut.fi
Tue Feb 19 09:11:27 PST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:46:50 +0000
From: Peter Sommer <hcorn at cix.co.uk>
To: ukcrypto at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Subject: Net freedom / jurisdiction case

The Stephane Perrin case, which involves net publication of material
illegal in the UK but permitted in the country where the website is located
(the US),  is coming up for appeal under Human Rights legislation:

http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/article.html?id=020218001211&query=law

 From my knowledge of the case I am not sure that the FT explanation of the
issues is as complete and accurate as it might be.

The present law is defined by R v Graham Waddon:  there also the website
holding the offending images was hosted in the US,  but the images had been
uploaded from London and that was sufficient "publication" for the purposes
of the Obscene Publications Act to give jurisdiction to the English courts

|-> hcorn at cix.co.uk P.M.Sommer at lse.ac.uk ------------>|
|-> Academic URL: http://csrc.lse.ac.uk//Sommer.htm ->|
|-> Commercial URL: http://www.pmsommer.com---------->|