[Seth-Trips] The Hours

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Sat Apr 5 10:13:05 PST 2003

Zack Brown writes:

> On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:19:20PM -0800, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> > OK, I want to go to the movie!
> >
> > I tried reading _Mrs. Dalloway_ and was persuaded to hold off and just
> > see _The Hours_ without having read either of the associated books
> > first.
> >
> > What are your plans, Sunah and Zack?  Who else is coming?
>
> I didn't go. Now I'm planning to not have gone, though at the time, I
> wanted to. Getting laid off changed my plans a little, and I ended up
> celebrating with my friend July. But I still want to see The Hours. If
> anyone wants to see it again, let me know.
>
> If anyone knows of a good V. Woolf biography, let me know that too. I
> tried to read one once, that was AWFUL! I hate biographies that get
> lyrical about their subjects, or that try to write in the same style
> (*shudder*). Edmund White's biography of Genet really tickles my uvula
> in that exact way. Richard Ellmann, on the other hand, writes only
> beautiful biographies. His work on Oscar Wilde, and the one on James
> Joyce, good lord! those were great.

I was actually referring to Zack Weinberg, who previously said he was
going to come, but it's too bad you could't make it.

I'll ask my mom, the amateur Virginia Woolf scholar, what's a good
biography.

Apparently you can start a whole avocation of reading biographies and
writings of Bloomsbury people.  There are at least hundreds of books
by or about them.  I have an autobiography of a bookdealer who
recounts that Bloomsbury dealers would feel a great excitement when a
customer got into Bloomsbury, because the customer was sure to buy an
enormous number of books.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Very frankly, I am opposed to people
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | being programmed by others.