[Seth-Trips] MGM v. Grokster party, Friday, Sept. 10

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon Aug 30 20:41:13 PDT 2004

I haven't had a party at my home in a long time, and EFF recently
helped win the MGM v. Grokster case!

See, e.g.,

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040819/480/fx10408191915

The case was won by a cast of dozens, led by Fred von Lohmann (for
Streamcast/Morpheus) and Michael Page (for Grokster).  This is the
second time we have won this case -- we won it at the district court
level and we have now won it again on appeal in the 9th Circuit.

You can hear the argument at

http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/MGM_v_Grokster/20040203_oral_arg.ogg

(it's fun, and it was even more fun to hear in person!) and you can
read the appellate decision at

http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/MGM_v_Grokster/20040819_mgm_v_grokster_decision.pdf

This case establishes the legality of peer-to-peer file-sharing
software even when the publishers of that software are made aware that
the software is being used illegally by others.

I worked on the case at an earlier stage and am extremely happy about
the result, so, even though it's already been celebrated quite a bit,
I thought I would take advantage of the opportunity to invite people
over!

So, we'll be celebrating on Friday, Sept. 10, from 6:00p to about
10:00p, at 1022A Shotwell Street (in the Mission District in San
Francisco, between 24th and 25th Streets, near the 24th Street/Mission
BART station).  I hope you can make it.

(I'll try to provide some, but, if you'd like to bring something, you
could bring some vegetarian food.)

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Very frankly, I am opposed to people
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | being programmed by others.