[Seth-Trips] Norton Day

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Wed Jan 7 21:12:27 PST 2004

begin  Nick Moffitt  quotation:
> E Clampus Vitus is either the oldest drinking historical society or
> the oldest historical drinking society, take your pick.

	The announcement is at http://ecvgazette.com/gazetteP2.html

                        EMPEROR NORTON DAY IN COLMA
                             January 10th, 2004

   Hark ! The Hewgag Brays and Brays and Mournfully Brays! It is calling
   all The Knights of E Clampus Vitus to assemble at Historical Old
   Molloys on January 10, 2004 to Memorialize and Honor Joshua A Norton,
   Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico, who passed on to
   the Golden Hills 125 years ago.

   We will start the day with a Parade from your parked auto to his grave
   site, for the placing of a wreath, spirited oration and a loud
   "Hussar", then on to Molloys for some serious liquid toasting, Crab
   chomping and frivolous endeavors.

   Don't miss out; send $30 and name & address to:
      Norton
      P O Box 34123
      San Francisco, CA 94134
   Grub stub and Information sheet will be forthcoming. This is a no host
   event (you buy your own drinks). All Clampers with Grub Stubs are
   welcome!

   NO, PBCs, Weapons, Dogs, Unlawful substances, Widders, or Swiss Pete
   Types!

   We will be looking for an additional monetary donation to be presented
   to The San Francisco Museum and Historical Society to aid in their
   effort to rehabilitate The Old Mint (at Fifth and Mission Street, S F)
   for its headquarters and museum. As this building was in use during
   Nortons reign is more than ample reason for our support, it also
   produced a lot of U.S. Coins, and a larger amount of gold than any
   other of our country's mints, survived the 1906 fire and earth- quake,
   and held 1/3 of the gold reserve in 1934.

    And to All, Best Wishes for a Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year.

	-- Lewis Mumford

end