[Seth-Trips] Salt of the Earth, Friday, Stanford

Aaron Swartz aaronsw at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 11:30:19 PST 2005

"The real work is being done by people who are not known. ... The
people who are known are riding the crest of some wave. Now, you can
ride the crest of the wave ... but the point is, it's the wave that
matters -- and that's what people ought to understand. I don't know
how you get that across in a film.

"Actually, come to think of it, there are some films that have done
it. I mean, I don't see a lot of visual stuff, so I'm not the best
commentator, but I thought Salt of the Earth really did it. It was a
long time ago, but at the time I thought that it was one of the really
great movies -- and of course it was killed, I think it was almost
never shown. ... I thought it was a really outstanding film."
 - Noam Chomsky, http://chomsky.info/books/power02.htm

Salt of the Earth sounds like an incredible film. An IMDB reviewer
describes it as "one of the most visually beautiful films I have ever
seen, a Mexican Mural come to life." It was chosen to be placed in the
Library of Congress's National Film Registry.

Apparenty a group called SALA (Stanford Association for Labor
Activism, or something like that) will be showing Salt of the Earth
this friday, February 11, at 5:30p here at Stanford in the SLE Lounge
on the first floor of Alondra in FloMo.