[Seth-Trips] Speaking at LinuxWorld, August 5

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Wed Jul 16 11:41:57 BST 2008

I'm going to be speaking at LinuxWorld in San Francisco:

http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/conference//tracks/tracksessions/Security/QMONYB00BIQG

Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Speakers:
Seth Schoen, Staff Technologist, Electronic Frontier Foundation.
Jacob Applebaum, Developer, Tor Project.

Most computer users think of RAM as highly volatile; they assume that a
loss of power causes the contents of RAM to disappear instantly. In
fact, RAM contents may persist for seconds to minutes without power at
room temperature. A team including this session's presenters and
researchers from Princeton University and Wind River Systems has
investigated the security implications of this fact, devising practical
techniques to quickly and easily recover encryption keys and other data
from memory. This makes it possible, under many circumstances, to bypass
popular encryption software including common Linux disk encryption
systems. These attacks challenge some intuitions about how encryption
can protect sensitive data on laptops. In this session, we will
demonstrate our attacks, including the effects of cooling memory chips
to extent data retention times, show how encryption keys can be
recovered and discuss countermeasures that disk encryption users can
take to protect themselves.

Unfortunately, I think Jake won't make it.  Also, the cheapest official
way to see the talk costs $495, but I can apparently get one interested
person in for free.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Wol dir, werlt, daz du bist
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | also freudenriche!