[Seth-Trips] James Gosling at SVLUG, Mountain View, Wednesday [rick at linuxmafia.com: [svlug] [svlug-announce] SVLUG Nov. 4 meeting: Question and Answer w/ Dr. James Gosling]

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon Nov 3 00:19:22 GMT 2008

Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 15:00:48 -0800
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: svlug-announce at lists.svlug.org
Subject: [svlug] [svlug-announce] SVLUG Nov. 4 meeting: Question and Answer
	w/ Dr. James Gosling

The Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (SVLUG) meets this Wednesday:

WHEN:

  Wednesday, November 5, 2008
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION:

  TOPIC:
    Question and Answer

  PRESENTED BY:
    James Gosling,
    VP and Sun Fellow, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    Everything you wanted to know, but were afraid to ask. Dr. Gosling
    has been one of the best-known software developers of the current age.
    Come to get his views on multiprocessor support and virtual machines, in
    which areas he was a pioneer, the Java programming language, which he
    invented, and more.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    James Gosling received a BSc in Computer Science from the University
    of Calgary, Canada in 1977.  He received a Ph.D. in Computer Science from
    Carnegie-Mellon University in 1983.  The title of his thesis was "The
    Algebraic Manipulation of Constraints".  He has built satellite data
    acquisition systems, a multiprocessor version of Unix, several
    compilers, mail systems, and window managers.  He has also built a
    WYSIWYG text editor, a constraint based drawing editor and a port of the
    'Emacs' text editor to Unix systems.  At Sun, his early activity was as
    lead engineer of the NeWS window system.  He did the original design of
    the Java programming language and implemented its original compiler and
    virtual machine.

LOCATION:

  Symantec  (formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!

----- End forwarded message -----

--