[Taocow PBEM] Chapter IV: The Emerald Isle

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at alberni.net
Mon Jun 6 12:55:23 PDT 2005

> [GM]
> Then he turns his attention back to Amanda.  "Miss,
> this is from Atlantis itself." he opens up the box to
> reveal a credit-card sized device with lovely
> scrollwork, a small screen and what looks to be a
> speaker.
>
> "This is a Kittani data unit.  It has a built in
> recorder with a 200 hour audio and video capacity,
> which can be saved on to these small wafer chips." he
> shakes the box and several penny-sized wafers fall
> out. "It comes with this small cable, which can be
> plugged into any standard E-clip."
>
> "I will gladly trade you your devices for this one."
> he says.  "I know someone who is an avid collector of
> pre-Rifts technology."
> [/GM]

> [Amanda Connors]
> "Um, that's great, but I really wasn't interested in selling these.
> They're all I have left of home."  She opens her purse, and looks
> inside.  "I really don't have much I could trade."  Her brow furrows
> slightly.
>
>  "In fact, as much as I might like that, I see a couple of other
>  things I probably need more..."
>
> She glances to Bongo with a mock innocent look.  "Unless someone wants
> to be a real gentleman and buy me a few hundred Christmas presents all
> at once?  I did kinda miss out on a few..."
> [/Amanda Connors]

> > [GM]
> > The shopkeeper nods slowly.  "Been to Old Chicago eh?  Thought your
> > accent sounded American.  Well, five of these jewels will cover what
> > you've got."

> Alex replies, "Don't Know about this American. I come from around Lone
> Star. " What he is saying suddenly dawns of her, "Ahh, you mean from the
> Old American Empire. I guess you could say that."

The shopkeeper laughs.  "It's not *that* old, miss.  You humans have
such a short range perspective."

> Alex carefully counts out five of the gems and hand them to him.
>
> Once business is concluded, she turns to the others, "Did we not have
> a couple of other places we needed to go as well?"
> [/Alex]

[Bongo]
"Kyle wants us to meet him outside." Bongo says.  "Something about
finding a place to stay."
[/Bongo]

> [Amanda Connors]
> "I don't have any credits.  Wait a sec.  Will this do?"  Amanda
> reaches into her purse, pulls out two U.S. twenty dollar bills, and
> holds them up for the merchant.
>
> "I've got a few of these and they're not doing me any good.  I
> guarantee they're pre-rifts, and since I'm pre-rifts, I know what I'm
> talking about."
>
> "Bongo, when we're done here, I'm going to have to take Alex and have
> her help me find a few things.  Or they're nearest equivalent..."
> [/Amanda Connors]

[Bongo]
A curious look crosses Bongo's face.
[/Bongo]

[GM]
Lena, who has been standing very quietly next to Arden, giggles.  The
shopkeeper just shakes his head.

"I know pre-Rifts myself, miss." he says.  "They have a little value,
but not enough."
[/GM]

[Bongo]
Bongo looks quite excitedly at the bills being flashed.  He slaps out a
few more trinkets.  "Let's call it a swap, Lady." he says.  "I'll pay
for your stuff, and you give me that currency.  Deal?"
[/Bongo]

[Meanwhile outside...]

> [Kyle]
> Kyle looks at the boy.  "So what is your name?"
> [/Kyle]

[GM]
"My name's Edig." the boy replies proudly.  "Same as my grandfather, who
fought along side the Knights of New Camelot."
[/GM]

> [Kyle]
> Kyle says. "I have to go and meet my friends are you coming?"  Once he
> gets an answer Kyle will head of towards the party, using the radio to
> ask for directions to the shop if neccessary.
> [/Kyle]

[GM]
The boy jumps up and immediately begins following Kyle.  "So tell me,
sir, are you as brave as my grandfather?  He killed nine orcs, five of
them after he'd lost an arm.  I wish my grandfather were still alive.
You would have liked him.  He was tough, like you.  Been to the
Continent and everything.  Saw gargoyles, and even fought off Blood
Druids!"

Before Kyle knows it, he's back outside the shop, and the boy is still
jabbering on about his grandfather, who by now has slain a dragon, and
fought off Splugorth minions with an eye poked out and half his ribcage
crushed.