[CrackMonkey] Ruth Kowal and The Library Bill of Rights. Deterrent fees in response to ordered disclosure of public information about our city's public library. How to deflect public participation in long range planning.

Don Saklad dsaklad at gnu.org
Sat Jan 20 04:26:41 PST 2001

Received from our Regional and
Massachusetts Library of Last Recourse.

Deterrent fees are contrary to
The Library Bill of Rights
http://www.ala.org/work/freedom/interprt.html
http://www.ala.org/alaorg/oif/oifsitemap.html

Boston Public Library
BPL
[ logo with book http://www.bpl.org/newindex.html ]

Copley Square
700 Boylston Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116
T 617.536.5400
http://www.bpl.org

January 16, 2001

Re: Email Request for
    General Administrative Notice 2000-161 with
    Organizational Charts
    Received December 22, 2000

I am in receipt of your public records request on
 December 22, 2000 "for ...General Administrative Notice
 GAN 2000-161 with organizational charts."

 Pursuant to
 950 CMP 32.06
 an estimate has been compiled for the cost of
 fulfilling your request.

 It is estimated that it would take a clerical staff
 member approximately
 10 minutes at
 $13.76/hour to retrieve, separate, and photocopy the
 requested documents, at a cost of
 $2.30

 The estimated cost of copying the 7 page General
 Administrative Notice, at
 20 cents per page is
 $1.40

 Upon receipt of a check for
 $3.70, we will compile materials pursuant to your
 request

In recognition of the potential expense to be incurred
 by you for the compilation of this request, the
 Library would make the requested document available
 for your onsite viewing in the Presidents' Offices
 Monday-Friday, between
 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

 It is estimate it would take a clerical staff member
 approximately
 5 minutes at
 $13.76/hour to retrieve the requested document.

 Upon receipt of a check for
 $1.15 the Library will compile material pursuant to
 your request, and will notify you when it is available
 for your on-site review.

Sincerely yours,
Ruth E. Kowal
Director of Operations
[ rkowal at bpl.org ]
[ http://www.bpl.org/www/news/directors.html ]
[ http://www.bpl.org/www/trusteeagenda91900.html ]

cc: Stacey Bloom, Assistant Corporation Counsel
    City of Boston
    [ mayor at ci.boston.ma.us ]
    [ http://www.ci.boston.ma.us/law ]

Books are just the beginning.
[ http://www.bpl.org/www/news/campaign.html ]

Guide to Problematical Boston Public Library Use
http://GuideToProblematicalLibraryUse.weblogs.com/stories