[free-sklyarov] [DMCA_discuss] FW: Rice U. Student cracks Wireless encryption protocol (WEP)]

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Thu Aug 9 17:35:19 PDT 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Julian T. J. Midgley wrote:

> Since when has WLAN encryption been a 'technological protection
> measure' designed to prevent copyright infringement?

	I don't think there's anything to worry about in this case.
	However, it is very easy to turn any cipher into a copyright
	protection measure.  Just use it to protect music.

	This has been a growing concern among cryptologists, that
	a startup company selling a proprietary cipher could use such a
	trick as insurance against analysis.  Usually this is only
	a concern when dealing with crackpots or suspected con=artists,
	rather than providers of legitimate security products.

> Julian
							-S