[free-sklyarov] Adobe FAQ

proclus at iname.com proclus at iname.com
Mon Sep 3 17:15:43 PDT 2001

On  3 Sep, Xcott Craver wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Sep 2001 proclus at iname.com wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that the practical meaning of these statements will be
>> quite apparent soon.  We should be ready to restart the boycott at any
>> time, and we should be public about our readiness.
>
> 	Well, I think most of us are still boycotting.  And I think that
> 	they should be boycotted until the damage they inflicted is
> 	undone.  IMHO it's insufficient if they simply express regret
> 	or take this or that stance on the issue.
>
> 							Scott

Yes indeed, I agree with all of this, and I am not saying that people
should go back to using Adobe products.  Moreover, we can use the threat
of a return to the boycott.  The boycott really did end.  Adobe lost a
few customers permanently, and they did their about face.  The boycott
 gave some teeth to the demonstrator's demands. Without the threat of a
 boycott, we are not as powerful.

We could do much more to reach Adobe's customer base, if it turns out
that they have been disingenous about their desire to see Dmitry go
home.

What would trigger a return to the boycott?  That is a wide open field,
IMHO.  I think it will be clear whether they are truly advocating
Dmitry's release or not.  We should not return to the boycott, if Adobe
is merely required by the prosecution to testify against Dmitry, because
Adobe would be legally obligated to do so.  On the other hand, if they
actively work with the Feds towards a conviction,  if they advocate his
incarceration or testify that Dmitry should be punished, and so on, then
we can restart the boycott with a vengence.  I don't think that Adobe
should provide anything to the Feds that is not required by the law.  Adobe
should be mostly out of the picture now, and I hope
that it stays that way, but if not, we have a response.

This whole situation is a great offense on the part of Adobe, and they
were right to withdraw their support.  Now, they should not do
 _anything_ to make things worse, where they could legally do
otherwise.  What if Adobe is still working with the prosecutor in order
to have Dmitry punished?  I'm sure that others can think of situations
where we can raise the stakes with a vigorously renewed boycott, but we
should reserve that course for the right time.

Regards,
proclus
http://www.gnu-darwin.org/

--