[free-sklyarov] Adobe Hackers: We're Immune

Vladimir Katalov vkatalov at elcomsoft.com
Tue Mar 5 00:16:49 PST 2002

Hello,

> There is a difference, I think.  In your example, you initiated a transfer
> from Russia to Mexico - in other words, you voluntarily caused a
> transaction in each nation.  If it happened to go through the US, it wasn't
> because you asked it to.  But in this case, you asked a US credit card
> company to accept US credit cards and transfer the funds to you.  You
> voluntarily requested that a transaction take place in the US.

Well, but in the case of wire transfer, my bank voluntarily requests
the transfer to be made through US ;)

> If you cared about US law (not that you should, but if you did) you could
> have asked your customers to warrant that they were not in the US before
> delivering the key.  This is similar to what downloaders of encryption
> products used to have to do.  They can lie, of course, but then the onus is
> on them, not you.

Agree (but unfortunately, it's too late now to discuss would that make
any difference in court).

> BTW, does your lawyer know you're posting here?  I'm glad you're talking
> freely about this, but if I were your lawyer I think I'd be pitching a fit
> right about now.

Well, so far I haven't said anything new for DOJ ;) Just the facts
that are already known. And if I make any comments -- they reflect my
own private position only, not the company's one.

/Vladimir
vkatalov at elcomsoft.com