[free-sklyarov] Adobe Hackers: We're Immune

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Tue Mar 5 00:36:48 PST 2002

Vladimir Katalov writes:

> Well, so far I haven't said anything new for DOJ ;) Just the facts
> that are already known. And if I make any comments -- they reflect my
> own private position only, not the company's one.

Lawyers have been known to introduce personal statements out of
context in court, in order to try to "prove" that someone "admitted"
something.  I've seen this happen in other copyright-related cases.
For example, in the DVD CCA case (one of the cases about the DeCSS
software), the plaintiffs' lawyers even took the step of introducing
_third parties'_ comments, taken out of context from public
discussions, to try to prove that there was a general perception in
the Internet community that DeCSS was illegal, or that someone broke
the law in creating it.

Your own statements can be quoted out of context and might possibly
hurt your case, even if they aren't meant to be the official position
of Elcomsoft.  Unfortunately, that means that you ought to check with
your lawyers about what you post!

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Reading is a right, not a feature!
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   |                 -- Kathryn Myronuk