[Taocow PBEM] Chapter IX - In The Ruins Of Old Chicago

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Thu May 25 12:42:49 PDT 2006

> > [GM]
> > Kyle sees the remaining Skycycle get hit, and veer off course  into a
> > building.  He now no longer has any pursuers.  He also  sees a rather
> > familiar-looking CS hovervehicle suddenly launch into the  air.
> >
> > Meanwhile, Bongo has two signals come through on the  Hovervehicle's
> > comm.  One is a friendly voice "Bongo, Osiris here -  what is your
> > location and status? over."
> >
> > The other is a much more  urgent voice.  "CS vehicle, we're under
> > attack.  Request your  assistance with rogue SAMAS and D-bees!"
> >
> > Bongo also hears a somewhat  unhappy horse in the back.
> > [/GM]

> [Bongo]
> "Throttle down there, Trigger..." Bongo mutters to the horse.  "Osiris wants
> to see you too."
>
> The urgent call from the CS troops brings a small grin to Bongo's muzzle.
> There might be a chance yet.  Thumbing his comm, he summons his best
> 'official' voice.  "Roger that, gentlemen -- bug out of there as fast as you can and
> I'll try to buy you some time!"
>
> He noses the hover truck into a steep dive and skids to a halt between the
> CS troops and the rest of the group.
> [/Bongo]

[GM]
"We're falling back." a rather rattled voice says.  "Reinforcements are on the
way.  Give us some covering fire.  There's a crazy D-bee down there who can
lift up chunks of the bloody street, and there's some sort of damn sniper.  I'm
thinking we've got some sort of invasion from those freaks in Lazlo."

The remaining Deadboys begin falling back, spreading covering fire, but
not really aiming at anybody in particular.

> Carefully, Ted manipulates Arden's hand and fingers to pick up the
> knife and put it in whatever sheath the elf has (using a pocket if
> nothing else is available). Once he is sure it is secure, he lifts the
> elf to his shoulder and turns to Alex. "I assume we want that hover
> craft over there?"

> The woman in armor responds, "Yes, you want the hovercraft. My bike
> cannot effectively hold three."

> Ted adjusts Talas on his shoulder and sprints for the hover vehicle.

> > Lady Frost's second chunk of pavement has a devestating effect on
> > two of the Deadboys.  It smashes down on top of them with a deafening
> > WHUMPH!  When the dust clears, a leg and two arms are all that remain.
> >
> > The final Deadboy opens stops dead in his tracks and drops to the
> > ground, opening fire and hitting Lady Frost before she manages to get
> > completely behind the debris, hitting her in the left leg.
> > [/GM]

> [Lady Frost]
> "AAhhhhh!!   That Hurt!"
>
> She quickly moves herself a little farther back, then takes a moment to see
> how many of the other had gotten to the safety of the hovercar.  Seeing
> almost everyone still running about doesn't do much to improve her
> mood.
>
> "What the...  You people were supposed to get OUT of here.  How the hell
> can I..."
>
> Anything further she might have said is lost as a the afore-mentioned hovercar
> comes down between the group and the remaining CS soldiers.
>
> With a rescue operation right there, Frost decides it would be rude to ignore
> the pilot's generosity, and runs limping for the door of the hover.
> [/Lady Frost]

> [Talas]
> Once the hover truck lands and Lady Frost goes to get inside, Talas follows
> her into the truck, supplying any needed covering fire that might be
> needed.
>
> Once in the hovercraft Talas turns to Lady Frost "Lady Frost once we are
> clear and you feel safe enough to not be Lady Frost. I can heal that wound for
> you." Talas then turns back to look out the vehicle door that he is standing in.
> Scanning the Ruins of Old Chicago for friends in need or enemies that need to
> be dealt with.
> [/Talas]

OOC: Apologies to Eric, just wanna keep things moving along.

[Osiris]
With the soldiers pulling back, Osiris makes a dash for the hovervehicle.
[/Osiris]

[GM]
In short order, Lady Frost, Talas, Ted (carrying Arden) and Osiris are in the
hover vehicle.  Soon enough, the Deadboys seem to be clueing in that
the hovervehicle is not firing on their enemy, but rather giving them a lift.

"What the fuck!" the Deadboy shouts over the radio at Bongo.  "Who the
hell are you?"  The channel goes dead, but another encrypted channel
lights up, with some sort of coded message being sent by the Deadboy.

> > Kyle's shot goes wide, but it does force the Deadboys to stop firing on
> > Osiris's position.  Kyle's sensors light up like a Christmas tree, however.
> > It seems the little firefight has alerted some serious company, and what
> > looks like another couple of Enforcers and a Death's Head Transport,
> > along with a squadron of Skycycle reinforcements are on the way.  The odds
> > are getting much worse.
> > [/GM]

> [Kyle]
> Kyle keys radio for the group to hear. "OK guys we are in trouble now.
> If anyone know a way out of here I suggest we use it like yesterday,
> because I am good but this is getting ridiculous."
> [/Kyle]

[GM]
Kyle's words are more than mere prophecy.  The hovervehicle's sensors
confirm Kyle's rather desperate message.  Multiple signals coming in from
both the north and the east.  Even as Ted hauls Arden into the hovervehicle,
an alarm sounds, incoming missile fire!  Alex and Bongo both know that the
Death's Head is in possession of some pretty nasty medium range missiles.

At the same time, the Deadboys, now obviously certain that the hovervehicle
is no friend, open fire, emptying their clips into the hovervehicle
and trying to
cause as much damage to the thrusters as possible.

Meanwhile, Alex is running for the hoverbike.  No one pursues her, all interest
now concentrated on the hovervehicle.  Within a minute or so, she's running
along side the dark and eery city park, and there sees Angelica, looking as if
she's listening to something.

Then Alex hears it as well.  It's Rod crying out "Alex, Alex!  Help us!  We're
trapped."

Aaron Clausen   mightymartianca at gmail.com

Palladium Rifts PBEM:
http://members.shaw.ca/selfreferential/rifts_pbem/