[Seth-Trips] HackerDojo movie night: Lain [david@weekly.org: [Friends] MOVIE NIGHTS! This Tuesday & Thursday @ 8pm: LAIN!]

David E. Weekly david at weekly.org
Mon Aug 26 20:10:07 PDT 2002

Seth,

I not only can believe, but *know* that there have been not-for-profit
colocation providers around. "Collectives" or "co-ops" or what have you.
This is why I don't say "the world's first not-for-profit colo". That would
truly be "DOUBTFUL". But I do believe that we may be the world's first
formal NGO to engage this need. Search on Google for "non-profit colo". I
try to draw a pretty clear distinction between "not-for-profit" (unofficial
collectives, individuals) and "non-profit" (government-recognized charitable
corporations) for this reason.

I'm not pooh-poohing any of the truly excellent work that has been done by
collectives and co-ops. They've done a really fantastic job. What we're
doing is just a little bit different and with a slightly different focus.
That's why we claim the label of distinction, because it is a bit new and
different and we don't see anyone else doing it (yet). We'd be happy to be
wrong and work with the other folks!

Anyhow, enough of that - come to Lain, all, tomorrow night and Thursday,
even if you're a member of the Linux Mafia. =D =)

 David E. Weekly
 Founder & Executive Director
 California Community Colocation Project (an OPG project)
 http://CommunityColo.net/ - the world's first non-profit colo!